Today Your Child Learned…
Dear Parent & Guardian,
We are excited to share that your child has completed the following PSHE lesson. Check out our overview and top tips to support their development…
Today’s PSHE Lesson
Braving The Weather (Dangerous Weather Conditions)
As climate change and unpredictable weather becomes a regular feature of our everyday lives, we need to understand more about how the weather might affect us or put us at risk or in danger.
What We Covered In The PSHE Lesson
Here’s what we went through today…
- The names of different types of weather conditions.
- They’ve discussed what these weather conditions might cause for instance, flooding, drought, storm damage etc.
- How storms and lightning can be dangerous, especially if we’re outside in a storm.
- What to do if we’re caught in a storm.
How You Can Help From Home
Here’s what you can talk about during dinner…
- Show your child the weather forecast on tv or online and talk about what they say the weather will be like and whether this then was accurate.
- Show your child age-appropriate clips of weather conditions around the world on tv or online and talk about what these are and the effects of these on the lives of people, their homes and land.
- Talk to your child about what they’ve learned about keeping safe outdoors in a thunderstorm like not using an umbrella or standing under a tree if there’s lightning.
Go Above & Beyond
Here are some other ideas to support your childs PSHE lessons…
- Involve your child in the preparations for adverse weather conditions.
- This might include securing garden items if there’s going to be strong winds or checking on an elderly or vulnerable neighbour if heavy snow is forecast.
- Talk about the importance of appropriate clothing for the weather conditions.
- When it’s safe to go out, enjoy the weather together and go out for walks in the snow, rain, sunshine, wind and fog and talk about how it feels to be outside in these conditions.
When it comes to your child’s development, teachers and parents are better together! By aligning our goals and education techniques, we can better realise our vision of positively preparing your child for their future.