Today Your Child Learned…
Dear Parent & Guardian,
We are excited to share that your child has completed the following PSHE lesson. Check out our overview and top tips to support their development…
Today’s PSHE Lesson
Signalling And Sign Language (Talking Without Words)
Some people are unable to use words, how can we then communicate with them? Sign language, technology aids, writing? Here we are looking at alternative methods of communication.
What We Covered In The PSHE Lesson
Here’s what we went through today…
- How others may use sign language instead of speaking, if they’re deaf, unable to speak or have problems with communication.
- That for some people, sign language may be their only form of communication, alternative methods are vitally important.
- Learning to sign the rhyme, ‘Hey Diddle Diddle’ and sign some basic words in sign language.
How You Can Help From Home
Here’s what you can talk about during dinner…
- Discuss how people may communicate in different ways.
- Talk about how this may look strange or funny at first but it’s how some people send messages or talk and that we need to be kind and understanding when we meet others with these difficulties.
- Practise signing together by using CBeebies or YouTube clips to help you.
Go Above & Beyond
Here are some other ideas to support your childs PSHE lessons…
- FACT: there are more than 125,000 deaf adults and about 20,000 deaf children who use British Sign Language (BSL) in the UK?
- Many more people use BSL such as teachers, parents and interpreters for deaf people.
- Perhaps you could look at a course online and learn something new together.
When it comes to your child’s development, teachers and parents are better together! By aligning our goals and education techniques, we can better realise our vision of positively preparing your child for their future.