Today Your Child Learned…
Dear Parent & Guardian,
We are excited to share that your child has completed the following PSHE lesson. Check out our overview and top tips to support their development…
Today’s PSHE Lesson
Tax (National Insurance- Why We Pay National Insurance)
When we reach the age of 16 we will receive our National Insurance number through the post. That’s usually when the questions start about what it is and why it’s been sent. Preparing our children for the world of work, including telling them about their personal NI number, is all about informing them and giving them an awareness that these processes exist.
What We Covered In The PSHE Lesson
Here’s what we went through today…
- That National Insurance is money we pay to fund benefits that we may receive from the State like Universal Credit and Sick Pay when we’re too ill to work.
- Getting our own personal National Insurance number when we’re 16.
- Keeping our National Insurance number safe is important.
Go Above & Beyond
Here are some other ideas to support your childs PSHE lessons…
- Discuss how this number is personal to them and forms part of the personal information like their passport number and driving licence.
- Explain that this number is unique to them and that it entitles them to work in the UK and should be kept safe for when they start paid employment.
- Ask your child if they can explain the reasons why we pay National Insurance contributions and talk about the services that you may have used that come from this fund.
When it comes to your child’s development, teachers and parents are better together! By aligning our goals and education techniques, we can better realise our vision of positively preparing your child for their future.