Today Your Child Learned…
Dear Parent & Guardian,
We are excited to share that your child has completed the following PSHE lesson. Check out our overview and top tips to support their development…
Today’s PSHE Lesson
Water Safety (Staying Safe Near Water)
Children are naturally drawn to water to play, have fun and cool off especially during the warmer month. Sadly, this is when we see a rise in the number of accidents that can occur from being in and around water. It is important to discuss how to stay safe near water to prevent and tragedies.
What We Covered In The PSHE Lesson
Here’s what we went through today…
- Different places where we can see water and get into water like lakes, swimming pools, the sea and ponds.
- The importance of always being with a responsible adult when near/in water and checking that is safe to enter e.g tides at the beach.
- Be able to recognise flags displayed on UK beaches e.g.the red flag means not to swim.
How You Can Help From Home
Here’s what you can talk about during dinner…
- Take your child swimming regularly/teach them to swim.
- Before allowing your children to enter the water check that it is safe – conditions of the sea, fast flowing rivers, pollution etc.
- Always stay where you can keep an eye on your child whilst they’re in water.
- Look at examples of UK beach flags together and make sure the family all know what they’re telling us.
Go Above & Beyond
Here are some other ideas to support your childs PSHE lessons…
- Children love having fun in the water but they need to know the importance of being sensible, don’t push others or hold them under the water – while play is important for children, safety is paramount.
- Pretending to be in difficulty can be very dangerous and others may put their lives in danger.
- Make sure that they understand that water is a great place to have fun but can be dangerous if not respected.
When it comes to your child’s development, teachers and parents are better together! By aligning our goals and education techniques, we can better realise our vision of positively preparing your child for their future.